Cleveland Memory is an engaging look at Cleveland History.
Here serious researchers and casual browsers will find thousands of historical photographs, as well as a growing collection of eBooks documenting the history of greater Cleveland and the Western Reserve region of northeastern Ohio, its industries and its people.
Rounding out this landscape of Cleveland's past is an expanding selection of vintage video and sound recordings. And all of this is delivered to you in a searchable, database that is constantly updated.
Explore Cleveland history through images and words.
Cleveland Memory is a vast photo archive.
Cleveland Memory’s major attraction is images. Our collected holdings include the Cleveland Press Collection, a newspaper archive of 500,000 photographs, spanning decades of local history and events, and the Cleveland Union Terminal Collection, including hundreds of photographs chronicling the construction of the Terminal Tower project in the 1920s. You'll find images of:
- Eliot Ness
- Downtown Department Stores
- The Cleveland Indians & League Park
- The Cuyahoga River fires and other disasters in Cleveland history
- The Cleveland Cultural Gardens
- Sam Sheppard
- Euclid Beach Park
Use the Search for Images box at the top of the page or wander through our Web Exhibits for an engaged learning experience.
Cleveland Memory is a virtual reading room.
Visitors will also find plenty here to read:
- Interested in political history? The autobiographies of former Cleveland mayors, Carl Stokes and Tom L. Johnson make for fascinating reading.
- Our extensive journalism holdings are complemented by two books by two remarkable local newspapermen: Cleveland Press editor Louis Seltzer and Plain Dealer executive editor Philip Porter.
- Want to learn more about the immigrant experience? Enjoy lively accounts about Cleveland's Arab, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, and Polish American communities.
- Examine issues of racism from two different centuries, in John Stark Bellamy’s gruesome e-book on hangings in Cuyahoga County, and an account of the Hough Riots written only two years after the riots.
See the complete list of ebooks available online at Cleveland Memory.
Cleveland Memory is a showcase for our collections.
The images and text used on this site are taken mostly from historical materials held in the Special Collections of the Michael Schwartz Library at Cleveland State University. Our collections cover many topics within the field of Cleveland history, with special concentrations on the industrial history of Northeast Ohio, Cleveland journalism, and the infrastructure of the city. Major collections include:
- The Cleveland Press Collection: a newspaper photo archive of 500,000 images, spanning decades of local history and events.
- The Wilbur & Sara Ruth Watson Bridge Book Collection: This archival collection of over 175 rare books and 15 albums of photographs on historic bridges is considered one of the best of its kind in the country.
- The Cleveland Union Terminal Collection, 6,000 views of the construction of Cleveland's landmark, the Terminal Tower complex, from the archives of the company that built it.
Other images, such as Professor Walter Leedy’s magnificent postcard collection, have been generously lent to us for digitization.
We are committed to preserving and sharing this wealth of information and material, and Cleveland Memory is our showcase.
Cleveland Memory is a collaborative effort.
Practicum students, interns, and high school students on senior project contribute valuable time and creativity to CMP's thematic Web Exhibits.
We have benefitted from partnerships with Rocky River Public Library, Shaker Heights Public Library, Westlake Porter Library, and Hathaway Brown School, who use remote workstations to add records of photos from their own collections into our database.
However, our most valuable collaborators are our donors.
If you have photographs or other historical items which you think might be of interest, and which you'd be willing to either donate or lend to the Library for digitizing, then we'd love to hear from you.
- Search Images
- Search Everything
- Advanced Search
Favorite Images for October 2014:
Features, News & Updates:
- New! The Cain Park Theatre Collection: Photos, programs, and playbills from Cain Park Theater in Cleveland Heights, the first municipally-run, outdoor civic theatre in the country.
- New! The Betty Klaric Collection: Photos, newsclippings and more documenting the life of Betty Klaric, a pioneering environmental reporter for the Cleveland Press.
- New! The Cleveland State University Archives Photo Collection: Just in time for CSU's 50th Anniversary celebration!