This illustrated history consists of over 3,000 photographic images from the Lakewood Historical Society and Cleveland State University Special Collections. The site gives viewers an opportunity to see the development of the City of Lakewood, Ohio through photographs of residences, buildings, and street scenes dating from the early 20th century through the early 1990's.
Whenever possible we have included supplemental information about the image and its location to help viewers to understand the life and times of those who lived and worked in Lakewood.
A Brief History of Lakewood
Lakewood, Ohio occupies 5.6 square miles along the southern shore of Lake Erie. It is adjacent to the City of Cleveland on the east and the City of Rocky River on the west. Named for its natural setting along the lake, it was originally part of Rockport Township, created in 1819. It became a village in 1903, and was incorporated as a city in 1911.