Parrish and Bingham Company
Founded in 1894 as a trolley and bicycle frame manufacturer, the Parrish and Bingham Co. quickly grew to become an important part of Cleveland's expanding industrial economy. Located at the corner of Madison Avenue and West 106th Street (41.476758,-81.759833), the Parrish and Bingham plant changed ownership several times, first in 1923, when it was merged with Detroit Pressed Steel Co. to form Midland Steel Products Co., a forerunner to Midland-Ross.
By the 1930s, with an expanded line of products that included steel automotive frames and axle housings for cars, trucks and buses; the Madison Avenue plant became one of the central suppliers of automotive manufacturing components in the country, and the largest producer of automotive frames. Read more...
About the Collection
The Parrish and Bingham Collection at Cleveland State University's Cleveland Memory Project consists of 80 photographs by Ernst-Eidman Photographers dating to (circa) 1920. The photos were purchased by the library from a private collector, and were originally matted on linen pages housed in a single "screw ring" leather binder.
Most images are of the Parrish & Bingham property at 10600 Madison Avenue, including the factory floor and infirmary, as well as an interior mural and one aerial view facing south from Berea Road. Assorted pieces of machinery, including cranes, presses, and blast furnaces; workspaces; and warehouse and shipping and receiving areas are all well-represented. Several images of men at work are also included.
For Further Reading
- A Brief History of the Parrish and Bingham Company
- The Midland-Ross Co. - from The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
- Automotive Industry - from The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
Credits and Appreciation
Our thanks to library practicum student, Erin Bell for his work on this project, fall 2008.